- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) Portal- Objectives, Benefits, and More
- A brief introduction to Government e-Marketplace
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) – Objectives
- Products available on the GeM Portal
- Popular Product Categories
- Popular Service Categories
- Benefits of the GeM Portal
- GeM Registration Process- How to Register in GEM Portal as Seller?
- Documents required for GeM registration include
- GeM Registration Fees
- Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Government e-Marketplace (GeM) Portal- Objectives, Benefits, and More
Government e-Marketplace (GeM), developed and hosted by the Directorate General of Supplies and Disposals (DGS&D) is an online platform where common goods and services can be procured in India. In simple words, the GeM portal is the space for government employer who wants to buy and sell their products. The process of buying and selling takes place through a portal which is called the National Public Procurement Portal.
Government e-Market Place is a dynamic, self-sustaining, and user-friendly portal used for making public procurement by Government officers.
A brief introduction to Government e-Marketplace
In 2016, the Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi, based on the recommendations of the Group of Secretaries, set up a dedicated e-market for a variety of goods and services procured by Government Organizations/Departments/PSUs. Created in a record time of five months, the GeM portal was launched on 9th August 2016 by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, GOI. The initial version of the GeM portal was maintained by DGS&D with the technical support of the National e-Governance Division (NeGD). The present version of the portal is handled by a Managed Service provider (MSP) directed by Intellect Design Arena.
Government e-Marketplace is a 100 percent Government owned, non-profit company. It is a paperless, contactless, and cashless digital marketplace that provides tools for bidding, direct purchase, reverse e-auction, and demand aggregation. As per recent data, there are more than 5 million products listed on the portal from sellers and service providers across the country.
Government e-Marketplace (GeM) – Objectives
- The Indian Government launched the GeM portal for the growth of budding Indian startups.
- GeM aims to enhance transparency, speed, and efficiency in public procurement.
- The National Public Procurement Portal is indeed a very fair & transparent interface for empowering the small traders and manufacturers of India.
- To transform DGS&D into a digital e-commerce portal for buying and selling goods and services.
- Create a sustainable ecosystem covering all stakeholders and promoting inclusive development in India.
Products available on the GeM Portal
The manufacturers, sellers, and service providers have to list their products and services on the GeM portal. These products and services will be available on the website after being approved by the GeM Authority. Some of the popular GeM Portal Products are:
Popular Product Categories
: Medical, Furniture, Computers, Automobiles, Fire Safety, and more.
Popular Service Categories
: Human Resources, Catering, Security Manpower, Vehicle Hiring, Cloud, and more.
Benefits of the GeM Portal
Government e-Marketplace provides many advantages for buyers and sellers. Some of them are as follows:
Advantages for Buyers
- Ease of buying and provides a transparent system.
- Offers a wide variety of products for individual categories of goods and services
- Price comparison from multiple suppliers
- Easy-to-navigate interface to search, compare, pay and buy
- Integrated Payment System
- Online grievance cell system for faster resolution
Advantages for Sellers
- No charges for getting registered on the GeM portal
- Ease of access to the National Public procurement market
- Dynamic pricing depending on market conditions
- Easy access to partake in bids/reverse auction
- Direct entry/access to all government departments
- Special facilities for MSMEs, startups, and Emporium products
GeM Registration Process- How to Register in GEM Portal as Seller?
Registration on the GeM portal is mandatory for sellers and service providers to take part in the public procurement process. Only, after registering on the GeM portal, sellers can separately register, fill up an application form, submit it, and wait for approval.
During the registration process, the seller can apply for Vendor Assessment, list their brands, products, and services, participate in bids, and accept the orders. The process of registering on the Government e-Marketplace is as follows:
- Visit the GeM portal athttps://gem.gov.in/
- Create a seller account by signing up on the dashboard
- Enter entity/organization profile
- Apply for a Vendor Assessment to become OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
- Complete Brand listing in the relevant categories of products and services
- After brand listing, complete Product listing on the portal
- Once product listing is done sellers can partake in Bidding and accept orders. OEMs can also appoint or authorized resellers.
Documents required for GeM registration include
- The list of documents required for GEM registration is as follows-
- liAN Card
- Aadhar Card
- Udyog Adhaar or MSME certificate
- GST registration certificate (If required)
- Bank account details or Canceled cheque coliy
- Income Tax Return for the last three years
GeM Registration Fees
A seller with a turnover of less than 1 Crore
A seller with a turnover between 1 Crore and 10 Crores
A seller with a turnover of more than 10 Crores
Vendor Assessment Fees
₹ 11,200 + GST
ddWhat is New in Government e-Marketplace (GeM)?Currently in the pursuit to achieve business goals and keeping the diversity of buyers in mind, the GeM service team is researching to launch new services.Some of the recently launched services by GeM are:
- Data Warehouse Consulting Service
- Data Warehousing Services
- Mines/Minerals Drilling Services
- Water Drilling Service
- Oil and Gas Drilling Service
- Data Anonymization Service
- Data Annotation Service
- Cash In Transit Service
- Supply Systems Service
- Integrated Security and Surveillance System Service
- Mine development Operations Service
There are more services on which currently the Government e-Marketplace is working and would be made available to the buyers shortly, few of such services are:
- Boat and Vessel Rental Service
- DTH/Cable service
- Outdoor Advertising service
- Design, Supply, Installation Commissioning, and Maintenance of Roof Top Solar Power Plant Service
- Hiring of Water Tanker Service
- The hiring of an agency for achieving climate action targets Service
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Is GST mandatory for GEM registration?
It is not mandatory to provide an organization GSTIN for GEM registration.
What is the registration fee Government e-marketplace?
Government E-Marketplace does not charge any fee for registration. However, portal fees for seller registration are generally consultancy in nature.
What are the types of Registration that need to be done under the GEM?
There are mainly two types of Registration. The first, primary registration, is for buyers, whereas the secondary registration is for sellers.