Headquartered in Andheri, Mumbai, Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL) has over 1600 employees in India. With over 90 years of heritage in India, HUL is India’s largest consumer goods company, with over 50 product brands in 20 categories. The company is known for its strong focus on employee welfare. Some of the facilities offered to the employees at HUL include a food court, convenience store, gym, occupational health center, a child daycare center, and a comprehensive leave policy.
In 2023, HUL upgraded its employee leave benefits to provide employees with more flexibility and support. Continue reading to get a detailed look at the HUL leave policy.
Hindustan Unilever Annual Leave Policy
Employees at HUL are entitled to four weeks of annual leave with no restriction for casual and sick leaves. This leave can be taken in a single stretch or as multiple shorter breaks throughout the year, depending on the needs of the employee and the business. Employees can choose to work from home or take full day leave in case of illness or any emergency. However, employees must inform and take the approval of the immediate manager.
HUL Maternity Leave Policy
Hindustan Unilever understands that raising a family is equally important as chasing a career goal. The company provides full support to employees who are planning to or have newly become parents to take paid leaves to experience this beautiful phase and nurture a bond with their young child.
- Female employees at HUL are entitled to 26 weeks of paid Maternity Leave. If needed, women can take up to eight weeks of leave prior to the delivery, along with full pay and benefits. The maternity leave benefits are available for up to 2 children in a career.
- Maternity leave available for 3rd child will be 12 weeks.
- In case of miscarriage, a female employee will be entitled to six weeks of paid leave. It can be taken immediately following the day of miscarriage and will have the option to request additional special leave if needed with the approval of reporting manager.
Hindustan Unilever Paternity Leave Policy
HUL understands the significance of the bond a father shares with his newborn baby. Therefore, the company offers generous paternity leave so that male employees can spend some quality time with their children.
- HUL permits paternity leave of paid 3 weeks to all male employees in the company. This leave can be availed in one stretch or weeklong breaks (3 installments) within twelve months of the employee becoming a father. Paternity leave, if not used cannot be carried forward or cashed out. This leave is available for up to 2 children in a career.
- In case of a miscarriage, a male employee is entitled to request special leave with the approval of the immediate manager.
HUL Adoption Leave Policy
Hindustan Unilever extends maternity and paternity leave policy to parents who are legally adopting a child provided that:
- The child you are adopting is less than five years of age as of the date of adoption. In the case of maternity leave, female employees can take leaves up to 2 weeks prior and not later than six months from the date of adoption.
- The employee will not be able to pursue any other profession (either part-time or full-time) while enjoying the benefits of the fully paid adoption leave.
- Request for adoption leave must be accompanied by all legal documents related to child adoption.
HUL Career Break Policy
In 2021, Hindustan Unilever Limited HUL introduced a career break leave policy. It allows its employees to take an extended period of time off from work to balance their professional life with other commitments, family responsibilities, and interests. Employees who have completed two years of employment with the company are eligible for opting a career break for any of the below-mentioned reasons:
- Personal family commitments
- Adoption leave
- Eldercare responsibilities
- Higher education
However, allowing a career break will be subject to the discretion of the company and the job requirements of the employee. All eligible employees availing of this policy for any reason, apart from those mentioned above would be required to seek approval from the line manager.
The duration of the career break can be up to a minimum period of 3 months to a maximum period of 2 years. The request for Career breaks of less than 3 months must be made through an application for an unpaid leave of absence.
Employees at the HUL may pursue taking a career break more than once, but separate approval is required for each time, and a minimum gap of three years between each career break is needed.
HUL’s Policy to Protect its Staff from Domestic Violence
In 2020, for the first time, an Indian company, Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL), announced a policy to protect its staff from domestic abuse. As per the policy guidelines, employees at HUL who were subjected to or were survivors of any acts of physical or emotional abuse outside the workplace can request paid leave of up to 10 days. These leaves can be availed in addition to medical treatment and psychological counseling for themselves and their families.
Hindustan Unilever India Holidays List 2023
|January 1||New Year’s Day|
|January 26||Republic Day|
|February 1||Maha Shivratri|
|April 14||Dr. B.R. Ambedkar’s Birthday|
|May 1||May Day|
|May 9||Rabindra Jayanti|
|August 15||Independence Day|
|September 17||Vishwakarma Puja|
|September 28||Foteha Dwaz Dham|
|October 2||Gandhi Jayanti|
|October 20-28||Durga Puja & Lakshmi Puja|
|November 12-15||Kali Puja & Bhratridwitiya|
|November 27||Guru Nanak’s Birthday|
|December 25||Christmas Day|